Wednesday, July 9, 2008

So I Have

a wasp's nest in my studio. i had this one, very leggy, very large wasp (of a variety i particularly try to avoid for aforementioned largeness and longness) wandering around my studio the other day. all sorts of bugs abound indoors and out in the tropics and one tends to get used to most critters. in our house, we try and shoo them back outside as best we can: frogs, crabs, moths, etc. the geckos and spiders do fine inside, as do the ants, so we pretty muchly just leave them alone. but wasps are a different story, a story in which i try and not play a major role. so i tried to shoo this one wasp out time and time again, finally succeeding a day or two ago, only to find her back in my studio. "blast!", i thought. "she must have come back in with the dog." so i let her out again. only to see her back, hovering, legs dangling perilously close to my head. it then occurred to me (and my husband at the same time) that i was breeding the darn things. we looked all over the studio and found a bunch of little mud huts, perfectly wasp sized, but none that looked active. though i'm not sure what our course of action would have been had we found the active ones. so, for the last two days, i get up about once an hour and let a very confused but pretty directionally-gifted wasp out my sliding glass door into the yard. they seem to know just which direction to fly when they first appear, but if i do not get up right away on their first approach to the doors, i can be stuck with one, ducking and weaving in the current of the fan, for hours. so i try and be prompt when one beckons for me to open the door. and my dog thinks she has me trained. ha.

No comments: